Hello friends! I’m so excited to introduce a new blog series where I highlight a few of my favorite vendors to work with in the senior portrait & wedding industry. These are the professionals that I’ve worked with many, many times and would, without a doubt, refer you to them in a heartbeat for their artistic ability and reliability. Karla Neu, the owner of True Color Hair Salon in Berrien Springs, Michigan, is my go to girl for all things hair and make-up. She is absolutely amazing with all things cut, color, updos and more. Way back when, she was even the professional that did my own hair at my wedding…., so you know I trust her! I asked her to sit down and tell me a little bit more about herself so I could share it with all of you (and of course, it even included a little mini-portrait session):
- Tell me a little bit about yourself, how you got into cosmetology and what it took to open your own business:
- Karla: I have always loved doing hair and makeup from as long as I can remember. Becoming a stylist sounded like a dream job, but too good to be true. I thought I should go to college and get a degree but I kept turning back to the fact I just wanted to do my passion….. So I did! I worked a year at other salons before opening my own salon at the age of 20. I own a tiny little shop on the campus of Andrews University. It is so fun working with students, I love to get involved with student projects and feel a part of campus. What did it take to open my own business? A lot of work and that never ends, my mantra is if my business is not growing it’s shrinking so I’m always getting out there and trying new things!
- What types of services do you offer and specialize in?:
- Karla: Color, cuts but my favorite is doing hair styling and makeup. That’s why I love weddings and photo shoots so much!
- What is your absolute favorite thing about your job? (i.e. what pumps you up and affirms your career decision?)
- Karla: Making people feel good. This is so much more than just doing someone’s hair or makeup, I am a big part of a memory for them. I want them to feel confident, be happy and love the way they look. There is nothing better for me than to know I can do that for someone.
- I know I can’t speak for all females, but I feel like our hair is an extension of our personalities, who we are, and how we want the world to see us…having said that, how hard is it to “get it right” with your client? And where do you draw your inspiration from?
- Karla: I take time to do a consultation first, I have gotten really good at reading cues from what they tell me. I know some people know exactly what they want and I give them that. Others are not sure and just want help. I will look at their hair and give them several ideas and tell them what the different styles will do for them, we work together to get it right. I think the biggest deal is to know you were heard and someone is listening.
- What tips would you give someone looking for a salon that would meet their needs?
- Karla: I always tell my clients that are moving to look for people with hair like theirs that looks really good and ask them where they go. That’s my favorite way to get clients. It also helps the stylist get a heads up to what you want if they already do a cut on
- As a fellow “Rising Tider,” how has community over competition positively affected your life and business?
- Karla: I am all about helping others and I am not competitive so I am so happy this group attracts others who feel the same. It’s also great because you can do so much more when you work together.
- If you had to sum up True Color Hair Studio in 5 words, which ones would best describe you/your business?
- Karla: Fun, energetic, caring, trendy, creative
To connect with Karla and True Color Hair Salon, visit:
Facebook: True Color Hair Salon
Address: 4245 Administrative Dr., Berrien Springs, MI
Phone: (269) 473-3211